Friday, August 31, 2012

Ahhhhh September is just about here!


Fall is upon us and the garden is starting to slow down.  The lettuce has bolted and strangely, so has some of the swiss chard.  The peas have dried down, the beans have turned to something resembling a cross between baler twine and super glue (not very palatable – ick) and the volunteer canola has somehow turned the garden into a virtual honeybee haven overnight.  I was keeping on top of the weeds until this flush of canola hit.  Today, I went out with the express intent of attacking the canola with all the fury of a tornado, but when I saw the plethora of bees frantically hauling loads of pollen off to their hives, I lost all of my gusto.  This time of year the flowering plants have just about called it quits, and with the numbers of honeybees declining, what’s the harm in letting them collect some winter food from plants that aren’t doing any harm other than damaging the aesthetics?  Here’s to the honeybees!
            
 Aster’s yellows have appeared with a vengeance in the carrots, effectively ruining the carrot root all the enthusiasm that a disease can muster.  Leafhoppers that arrive in April-May carry the fungus and they transmit the disease when they start to feed.  Carrots aren’t the only crop infected either- canola, barley, wheat, and peas can all be infected, causing a great decrease in yields.  The below picture is an example of an infected carrot.  They send out abnormal amounts of foliage and the root gets very hairy.  The root doesn’t taste very good either. 
            
I really hope that the corn will be ready before it freezes! I picked a cob off last night to check and lo and behold! It was ready!  Sadly, upon inspection of any other cobs… it was the only one.  What are the odds of picking the Only Ripe Cob in a row 60’ long??? Talk about extreme excitement quickly switching to morose disappointment. Fingers crossed that the rest of the cobs will mature soon! 
          
 It's time to think about next year. That’s right – looking forward to it already!  Let’s just skip the fact that there’s nine months between now and June shall we? Seed catalogues will be arriving in December and I'm pretty excited about that.  Just think, that means next years pepper crop will be seeded in six months and the seed will be ordered in four!  I won’t be growing as many hot peppers next year, instead I’ll be focusing on the sweet banana and bell peppers. As well, different varieties of your favorite garden vegetables will appear to add a bit more spice and flavor to the oldies.  If you have any special requests for vegetables that weren’t grown this year, let me know and I will try to add them to the repertoire for next year.  
         
The weekly price will see a small increase over this year, but until I see the seed catalogue and can guess how much gas is going to cost, I can’t say for certain how much of an increase it will be until next January or so.
            Thank you all so very much for supporting me in this venture.  It has been a wonderful experience getting to know everyone and do something that I love.  I’m very much looking forward to next year already!  Happy Harvest everyone, and Happy Eating! 

~Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment